Women in Local Government
Thursday 2 December 2021 | Online
Despite making up 78% of the local government workforce, women account for only 17% of local authority leaders and 33% of council chief executives – statistics which have hardly changed for a decade. Meanwhile, following the 2019 council elections, just 35% of councillors are female, further representing lack of meaningful progress for women in Local Government. It is more important than ever that leadership teams in local government are fully representative of the populations they serve.
The Women in Local Government conference brings together women from local government to offer practical advice and coaching on how to address the barriers affecting your progression and further develop your career in times of change.
- Identify the unique leadership challenges and opportunities facing women in local government today
- Learn how successful women negotiate for what they need to be effective leaders
- Gain a deeper understanding of the skills, qualities and attributes needed to be a successful leader
- Raise the visibility of women as senior leaders in local government
- Create a lasting network of women leaders who are effecting change across local government
- Councillor Rachael Robathan, Leader, Westminster City Council
- Councillor Sharon Thompson, Cabinet Member for Homes and Neighbourhoods, Birmingham City Council
- Dame Margaret Hodge, MP for Barking
- Councillor Marianne Overton MBE, Vice Chair, Local Government Association, Leader, LGA Independent Group & Vice-Chair, Women’s Local Government Society
- Councillor Mrs. Lesley Clarke OBE, Chairman, Women’s Local Government Society, Chairman, Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes Fire Authority
- Cath Baxter, Professional Voice and Public Speaking Consultant & former Head of Voice, Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
Who should attend?
This event is aimed at all those who aspire to move into a leadership role in local government or those already in a senior role looking to progress. If you are passionate about, and committed to, improving your own performance, and that of your team and your organisation, then this event is for you.
- 1 place: £295 + VAT
- 4 places or more: £250 + VAT
- 1 place: £695 + VAT